Water Storage in Cocoa
Treated water is delivered from East Orange County throughout most of central Brevard County through about 1,321 miles of pipe.
Ground storage tanks are used to meet peak demands during the day. Water is stored in five locations:
- A 5-million-gallon steel ground storage tank is located at the Utilities Complex in Tate Industrial Park in Cocoa
- Two concrete ground storage tanks providing four million gallons of storage are located on Merritt Island near the Banana River
- A 2-million-gallon ground storage tank and pumping station is in Viera, near Interstate 95
- A 1.5-million gallon elevated tank in Cocoa
- Two 5-million gallon ground storage tanks at Dyal
Elevated Tanks & Pumps
The pumping station at Merritt Island is used to boost pressure to the beaches and to maintain chlorine residuals. Perhaps the most recognizable tank is the 1.5-million-gallon steel elevated tank with three American flags painted on it located on U. S. Highway 1 north of State Road 520. The elevated tank is used to maintain a constant pressure in the distribution system.